Sunday, July 27, 2008

Vertigo! Does it make the world go round??

Well, apparently, it does.

On May 5, I woke up at 4 in the morning feeling fairly dizzy. I assumed that I was dehydrated since I was hot. I waited it out a little. This was the second time I had woken up dizzy in a week. I finally stood up and attempted to walk to the kitchen. I took about 2 steps forward and literally slammed to the floor. I made such a loud "THUD" noise when I landed (well, I don't bounce...) that it woke Tom up. He said "Are you ok?" "No." I replied. "Are you going to get up?" "No, I don't think so." I knew if I moved I would be sick.

I did eventually get up. I even showered and attempted to get ready for work. Then I got sick. I still attempted to get ready for work. After a couple of hours of me not being able to stand or walk, Tom finally called a doctor.

He was instructed to take me to the ER. I was admitted and stayed for 4 days.

Initially, they thought I had had a stroke or a tumor. MRI's and CT Scans showed that I hadn't. I knew I hadn't, but I am not the doctor.

They ultimately decided that I had positional vertigo. I wasn't set on that answer since it wasn't always movement that triggered it. Sometimes, it was sound.

I went home from the hospital on my birthday. I was out of work a total of 5 weeks. In the end, they said I had a viral infection that would go away. And it did. Or, so it seemed.

I have been Vertigo free for 2 months... and now it's back. Fun for me, fun for all. I am managing to at least catch myself as an episode starts and just hold the position I am in. I am doing my best to hang on to my last meal.

No comments: